By Roger Chartier

ITIN Application

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

If you don't have an ITIN, you can get one by applying.

You can download the appropriate Form W-7 and the W-7 instructions (9 pages) from these links.

EIN Employer Identification Number

You can also apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN). If you do not have a number, see How to get a TIN on page 3. Although the IRS prefers that you use your Social-Security number if you are a sole proprietor, those who have an EIN can use it.
You are to use this Form SS-4 to apply for a EIN. Note. If the account is in more than one name, see the chart on page 4 of the full 4 page W9 form for guidelines on whose number to enter.

If a person has changed their name due to marriage etc., that person should see the instructions on the download able form for what to do in that instance.

For a sole proprietor, enter the individual name just as was done on the name line of the income tax return.

A person may add their business, trade or DBA name on the "Business name/disregarded entity name" line.

Those who are a US citizen or a resident alien would use the Form W-9.

You are asked to sign and date the form under penalties of perjury.